Monday, May 9, 2011

All Good Things Must Come to an End

An english proverb says,
"All good things must come to an end."
As depressing as that quote is, I found some comfort in it today. I was contemplating what that really means. Everything good is eventually going to end. All money, power, fame, sensual pleasure, "love", youth, or even something as trivial as good grades or rhythm.

Kinda depressing. I don't know about you all, but I find a lot of my happiness from day to day in these things. Not like they are my "everything" or anything, but so much of what I do and aim for is revolved around them.

I dream of having a wonderful husband one day, but even that, eventually, will end. By death or tragic separation or even the return of the Lord. Dream with me here...what is it that is important to you? What brings you happiness from day to day? Lustful desires? Your family? Or entertainment?

I love this quote by John Piper in his book, "Don't Waste Your Life",
Only one life will soon be past, only whats done for Christ will last.
I was strangely comforted. I thought about my petty "joys" ending and rejoiced over the fact that there is one source of happiness, one good thing that will never EVER come to an end. My Savior. Revelation 1:9 says,
I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.

And because of this we can have a joy that outlasts everything! In John 16, Jesus is telling His disciples how He is going to die and they won't be able to see Him anymore. They were all very upset about it because they didn't know the plan that God intended. Read through verses 20-22:

Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.

Rejoice today! Good things will die away, but we have a Savior who is risen and coming again! Forever we will rejoice with Him. And "no one will take away our joy." What a promise!

3 comments:

Jessy said...

good post asha!!! Miss and love ya!!!!!!

Logan Vaughan said...

Yeah! A post! :D

I like what you have to say. I like Piper's quote, but I would've said, "You only have one life, and only what you do for Christ will be remembered." That is such a pivotal truth to understand. It tells you what to fix your focus on, and how to live life. Thanks for posting!

Daniel G said...

Great post, and although it can seem a bit depressing that all the stuff that we want is going to end one day, it is such a comfort that the one person that we should desire to be with more than anything has prepared a place for us to spend eternity with him.