Sunday, June 12, 2011

Glory to God? Forever?

I'm going to quickly type out a post before rushing to bed. So, I apologize beforehand for any typos or weirdness.

I went to afterglow. I LOVE AFTERGLOW! It's where our youth group gets together and just talks about the sermons in church and kinda applies them, or just discusses them. We also sing a lot which I love. In general, singing is my favorite thing ever. But singing with believers to God is the BEST!

We sang  a song tonight that provoked some thought in me. It's called, "Glory to God".


Creator God you gave me breath so I could praise
Your great and matchless name
All my days, all my days
So let my whole life be
A blazing offering
A life that shouts and sings
The greatness of the King

CHORUS:
Glory to God, Glory to God
Glory to God, Forever
Glory to God, Glory to God
Glory to God, Forever


Glory to God? Forever? I tried to wrap my mind around that. One day, we are going to be praising God and glorifying His name with the angels and saints. I can't imagine the day when we can sit around His throne and adore Him.

And even now. I want to give glory to God in my life right now. This moment! I confess that many times i can sing, "Take my life and let it be, all for You and for Your glory" but I don't really live that out. I found myself half-heartedly singing those words tonight. But, those words are a prayer and shouldn't be taken nonchalantly. Lives that are "all for You and for Your glory" are totally different, crazy-in-the-worlds-eyes lives! I sing like I want to be that, but I'm not taking the steps and making the radical choices to be one.

I mean, what would someone who is living that type of life look like? What if I found someone who was living out "Glory to God, Forever" in everything they do? How can I do that?

I was convicted tonight about the fact that I can sing prayerful, reverent words like that and treat them like no big deal. Here's one, "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus". EVERYONE in church knows that chorus, but how many people who sing it really mean it? Those are tough words. "Though none go with me, I still will follow...The world behind me, the cross before me..." Who wants to go to the cross? The cross stands for and is the most amount of suffering that anyone could go through? Who actually wants that?

I don't really want to sing those songs unless I mean them. Or here, maybe when I sing that...if I feel like I'm not meaning them at the moment...I can pray that God will enable me to desire the cross and enable me to live out "Glory to God, Forever".

Today, tomorrow and forever I want to give glory to God. Whether it is through the way I treat my family, how I handle customers, what I do behind closed doors, or my priorities...I want God to be glorified - forever.

Back to the old verse that everyone knows and quotes, but the truth is so huge...

1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether you eat, drink or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

When is that going to stop just "being a verse" and start being my life?!?

3 comments:

Jessy said...

Good post asha!! Carla was super sad she couldn't come to afterglow!!!:) love cha

Meggie said...

I feel the same way, I have heard people say, "Just sing it, that will help you" but it wont, it really wont. I think we should take more thought and sing those sort of songs when we mean it, and want it with all our hearts, otherwise is just singing a worship? No, its a deception no matter how you look at it.

Good luck!

~ Meggie

Anonymous said...

great post, when is afterglow, if im free i might come sometime.
~Daniel G~