Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The God of Eternity Doesn't Handle Your Sin Lightly

More and more I've noticed in the world around me and in...sadly, myself this attitude of "sin isn't really that big a deal". If I shoot up a little prayer of repentance, promise to do better and all...then, I'm clear, right?

Wrong!

God does not take our sin lightly. The God of the Universe, the initiator of everything, the one who can discontinue your breath without a though doesn't take your sin lightly. He doesn't go, "Oh, she is doing a half-way job fixing her sin, and she is failing - she doesn't even seem like she really cares, but I don't really mind...after all, she isn't murdering anyone, is she?"

The one who has the power to throw you in hell doesn't take your sin lightly. Why should you? What grounds do you have to relax about it?

If your right eyes causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown in hell. And if your right arm causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go to hell. (Matthew 5:29-30)
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? (Romans 6:1-2)
Relax isn't an instruction. God is the same wrathful God of the OT. He hasn't changed. He hates sin and He hates when His people turn from Him to pursue other things. He shows mercy upon mercy and helps those who ask for it, thank goodness! And He will never forsake. But don't let those promises give you slack to sin more and not worry. Be about the work of righteousness. If you are in sin, repent! and change! 

We cannot take it lightly anymore. God eventually punished the Isrealites for not serving Him, when will He do the same to us?

I'm learning this lesson more and more. My ease about the whole thing concerns me. I want to be sensitive and aware of my sin, constantly on my face repenting to God, and always in the process of changing.

Is there unhandled sin in your life? Today, not tomorrow, is the time...

1 comment:

Vandy Doctor said...

Good lesson! I'm just as guilty of this as you say you are. We take forgiveness for granted by knowing that we will be forgiven if we do wrong, but that is not the way God wants it. We all deserve hell, and all that God asks for is that we try not to sin as much as we can, with all our hearts, souls, and minds. It's still more than we deserve. :)