Sunday, November 13, 2011

Trials Bring the Real Me Out

The Pastor at First Baptist Hartsville gave a really great analogy of trials. He said they are sent to show us what is really on our inside. He asked, "If I had a cup of Dr. Pepper and someone bumped me to where liquid spilled out of the cup, what do you think would come out? Milk? Coke?" (my paraphrase) Then, he went on to show how trials are a lot like that. When we hit bumps in life, the "real us" comes out. It is going to show whats in our hearts. Faith? Love? Bitterness? Impatience?

I think this is a great question and I've been pondering it a lot lately. When trials come, what comes out of me? Is Christ's love the overflow of my heart or do trials turn over rocks of doubt in my spirit?

I know that everyone has heard this verse, but I believe its feels different under the light of this analogy.

James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

Trials make us perfect and complete. They are going to sharpen and polish us to make us look more and more like our model and our hero, Jesus Christ. That makes me excited. Very. I want to be like Jesus and if trials are what it takes to get me there. Then, let's go.

And, it's really easy for me to say this but much harder to live it. So the real question is "Can I walk the talk?" When I face trials is all my talk about "being like Christ" going to go down the drain and the real, ugly side of myself pour forth? Or am I going to be molded a little more like Jesus?

5 comments:

Kaylin said...

This post reminds me of Coach's saying, "the proof is in the pressure" (he used to illustration of a tube of toothpaste).

So can you or I walk the talk? On our own I believe we can't. However, we can through Christ Jesus who strengthens us (phil 4:13). The more we spend time with Christ, the more we will begin to look and act like Him. When we allow him to empty us and then fill us with himself, Christ will spill out when we are "bumped."

Shay said...

Wow I love this reminder...I heard Kay arthur at a conference once and she used an analogy very much like this...I think the only difference what she asked it something sweet (Christ) would come out or if something not so pleasant would surface (sinful nature)

Again thanks for the reminder!

Lexi W. said...

Great reminder!! I sure could use it!!! And I agree with Kaylin; we definitely can't withstand trials by ourselves, but with God's help, anything is possible!

Thanks for being honest Ashley!!! Still praying for you!!

Lexi W.

Katherine said...

Ashley, thanks for posting this. I needed to here it just now, and I'll have to keep thinking more about this stuff. That verse is just about my favorite in the Bible! Thanks again. Love ya, Katherine

Elizabeth said...

Wow, this is truly wonderful. You put this so well! I have been pondering this myself lately and so this is a great encouragement. Thank you!