Saturday, April 30, 2011

P31W: Skippers and Compassion

Sorry about the long wait on a post. The next two verses of Proverbs 31 we are going to skip for now because they pretty much discuss the topics we have already been over. And one verse touches on a topic that we will go over. I'll post them so you can read them!
Proverbs 31:18-19 "She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night. She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle."
Verse 20 is so good and its what I'm going to be talking about today. 
"She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy."
The Proverbs 31 Woman was known for her compassion and generosity. She looked out for people and met their needs.

I know that I could do so much better at this. I am not moved enough by the pain in this world to do something. I admit that the Spirit has moved me to give to someone before and I have ignored Him. I can think of so many ways that I can reach out to people. And no they don't have to be homeless or needing clothes. We can reach out to the needy in our church. Some people just need prayer, a friend or a hug. Some of the older people just need to be shown that they are special.

I'm stingy. I don't give enough to people. I'm stingy with my time, emotions and my possessions.

I can't help but think of Christ's perfect example. People were flocking around Him everywhere He went. Jesus was healing people and they loved Him for it! they followed Him and never left Him alone. If He wanted to be alone, He had to literally sneak away from the multitudes. He did this to pray. I would be so annoyed with people touching me and taking from me constantly. Remember, Jesus was a man. That would be exhausting! But did He ever lash out, complain or send them away? No. He loved them, healed them, and even fed them a couple times!


  
Matthew 14:14 "When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick."

Can I ever learn to be that self-less? That giving? That sacrificial? What an example! You know, a P31W needs this type of love and compassion. She has to be ready to give of herself all the time. I mean, having a family and dealing with people takes patience and sacrifice.

I have a friend who has a very compassionate heart. It's beautiful to watch. I've seen it in my friend since we were little kids and often its been an example to me. People who watch out and genuinely care for others stick out - majorly. Most people don't take the time to stop and think about how others are feeling or what they might need.

I liked the definition of compassion that dictionary.com gave. "A feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering."

 
I've always had the feeling that compassion was a spiritual gift and I just didn't have it like other people. Now, some people may have it more naturally or better than others - no doubt about that - but its a command in the Bible.
1 Peter 3:8-9 "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble."
I've never really thought about it like that. Its brings me back to the verse that tells us to "weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice!" Yes, that is what we are called to do as Christians. We need to be compassionate to others because God was compassionate! Our goal is to be like Him!  

How can you be more compassionate today? Are there people in your life you could bless with your generosity? Are there people you should be weeping with? Are there people who you tend to "shoo" who you ought to just spend some time loving?
  

1 comment:

Daniel G said...

i know I’m so guilty of that, even when it comes to witnessing to people, God wants His people to show His love to the world, and so often Christians treat our gift of His love like a little kid treats his piece of candy, we hide it away where no one else can get it, but that’s the surest way to NOT enjoy it, the way to get the fullest enjoyment out of our gift is to give it to others. Thanks for another great post; you’re such an encouragement in helping me stay focused on God.