Sunday, August 29, 2010

"By Jove, the signs!!"

First off, sorry I haven't been posting real regularly. But I'm back (Lord willing) to stay for a while. :)

I have picked up the book the Silver Chair. Book six in the Chronicles of Narnia. My dad used to read them to me when I was little but I am reading them again because they are drenched with wonderful symbolism, a lot that was a tad over my head previously.

The second chapter had incredible dialog between Aslan and Jill Pole. I am going to type some of it down for you.

Little background first. Aslan (symbolizing God for those of you who may not know) calls kids out of our world into the world of Narnia, where they face battles, tasks, challenges and all. They return to the real world completely different people. So Jill and Eustace Scrubb have just been called from England into Narnia. And Jill doesn't believe they were actually called because they were talking about how much they wanted to go when Aslan brought them there. K?

"I was wondering-I mean- couldn't there be some mistake. Because no one called me and Scrubb here you know.It was we who asked to come here. Scrubb said we were to call to-to somebody-it was a name I wouldn't know- and that perhaps the Somebody would let us in." Jill said.

"You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you." said the Lion (Aslan)

"Then you are the Somebody, sir?" said Jill.

"I am. Now hear your task....(long definition of task)..I lay on you this command, that you seek this lost prince until either you have found him and brought him back to his father's house, or else died in the attempt, or else gone back to your own world."

"How please?" asked Jill.

"I will tell you child. There are sings by which I will guide you in your quest....(gives her four very lengthy signs)..."

When the lion had finished Jill thought she should say something. So she said, "Thank you very much. I see."

"Child," Said Aslan, in a gentler voice than he had yet used, "perhaps you do not see as clearly as you think. The first step is to remember. Repeat to me in order the four signs."

Jill tried and didn't get it quite right. So the Lion corrected her and made her repeat them again and again till she could say them perfectly.

.... ....

"Remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake up in the morning and when you lie down at night, and when you wake in the middle of the night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs. And secondly, I give you a warning. Here on the mountain I have spoken to you clearly: I will not often do so down in Narnia. Here on the mountain the air is clear and your mind is clear; as you drop down into Narnia the air will thicken. Take great care that it does not confuse you. And the signs which you have learned here will not look at all as you expect them to look, when you meet them there. That is why it is so important to know them by heart and pay no attention to appearances. Remember the signs and and believe the signs. Nothing else matters. And now, daughter of Eve, farewell..."

This in my opinion is fantastic dialog because it tells me so much about what we need to focus on. The Word of God has given us signs. Signs and warnings about false prophets, signs of Christ's return, signs of our faith, signs of sin...the list is endless. As I continue to read the book, I bet I will figure out what exact signs he, the author C. S. Lewis is making an allegory of.

But in general, we need to be meditating on the Word of God all the time. I confess to you all that often I pray, "God help me not to sin." But I don't heed the Word of the Lord by staying away from the things of the world that entice me. I pray, "Lord help me to be ready for your return." But I don't listen to the Bible when He gives us signs and says "Behold, I am coming quickly."

I love what Aslan says in the last paragraph, "...Remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake up in the morning and when you lie down at night, and when you wake in the middle of the night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs."

When we lie down, wake up, eat, drink, do school, work out, take showers....whatever we do we need to be dwelling on the Lord and the Words of the Lord. Watching for signs, praying, worshiping.

Ever heard the saying, "He's so heavenly minded he's of no earthly good."? I have heard that three times within the past month. Some people had different takes on it. I can tell you right now - that's impossible. Unfortunately, twisting that into, "He's so earthly minded he's of no heavenly good" is all to true.

How many of us really really meditate on the Lord and His word? I know I don't. Not enough. Now, being heavenly minded doesn't mean that you can't hold a normal conversation because you are in heaven la la land. It means constantly meditating on the Word and working out your salvation with fear and trembling constantly because Christ's return is at hand. It means to "pray without ceasing."

I have this little note on my wall that, sadly, has been there so long I have started looking past it. It is a quote from a man that has preached at our church before, "Be preparing and readying yourself for Christ's return."

Remember the signs. Delight in them. Go over them in the night. Christ's return is at hand and we must be ready.

Well, half-way through that post I was trying to remember what my point was. Hopefully you all followed along. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My darling child, my heart is so full of joy (and running out my eyes) as I am reading your blog. What an unspeakable blessing to have a daughter that has a heart to please the Lord.