Friday, August 6, 2010

Christ-Our Daily Sustenance

This week we talked about Christ being our daily sustenance because He is the bread of life that leads to heaven, but He is also spiritual food for our souls.

I can't imagine ever starving myself because I would rather do other things than eat. That is absurd. Who would do that? "Oh yeah, I want to finish this book so I won't eat until I am finished with this 700 page-er."

I realized that I do that to myself spiritually. I can make time for the physical needs in my life. Eating, hygiene and stuff, but I let my spiritual state slide. I let myself spiritually starve.

The chapter in the Bible where they talk about Jesus being the Bread is John 6. In John 6 is also the account of Jesus feeding the 5,000. I was kinda amazed at what the Bible said about this. After Jesus feed them He went across the sea and the people followed Him.Check this out...

John 6:26-27 "Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

We are just like that, worrying about the things for our physical state when God clearly tells us not to labor for that stuff.

It makes me think of the Israelites. I believe that the manna appearing on the ground early, with the dew of the morning is a picture of how God is our daily sustenance.

Manna would appear on the ground in the morning and they would have to rise early and go gather it. They could only collect what they needed for that day. If they collected more than that, it would rot.

Isn't that how it is for our devotionals every day? We have to rise early and seek Him, because He will empower us for the day. And having devotionals Monday morning won't last us 'till Wednesday. It has to be a daily effort.

Just my random thoughts. Hope they were understandable.

To close: Psalm 63:1 1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you,my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

1 comment:

Nate said...

WOW!!!! That is so what I needed to hear!!!
I am so bad about just getting up and starving
myself that day!!!! I get so focused on what I have to do that day, that it doesn't take long and I'll forget all about it!!!! Bad thing Uh!!! Please pray for me!!!! I really need to be fed!!!! And I really love Jesus, but I feel like I am not growing enough!!!!! Please pay for me!!! Thanks Nate????....!!!!!!