Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Treasure Each Moment

This is a command to treasure each moment you have - good or bad. I'm learning that time is really a gift from the Lord to be used wisely and not abused for our own selfish reasons. I remember a time - back in the day - when I used to long desperately to be in high school. I used to think high schoolers were the bomb and I wanted to be just like them...now, starting my last year of good ol' high school, I realize that I shouldn't have wished for the future, but just treasured the present.

I remember being in UCA classes and trying to come up with reasons I didn't do my homework. I was sick, to busy, overloaded with assignments, had family in town, had this or that going. Pathetic. All of them. I see some students in UCA right now doing the same thing. Oh, every kid goes through it. I did. And they will learn eventually. I think the underlying and most honest answer to why I didn't get stuff done like I should is because I didn't value my time. I didn't value the fact that God gave me 24 hours every day to get things done, enjoy my life and glorify Him. I didn't understand that the fool says, "there is a lion in the street". (Proverbs 26:13)

Boy, am I glad that this is a lesson the Lord taught me. Thank goodness I'm now valuing my time, doing productive things, and bringing glory to my Savior - the Maker of Time - in the process. I love the NIV translation of the popular verse Ephesians 5:15-16: "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."

Making the most of every opportunity. I like the way that flows. I know what "redeem" means (its the word most translations use) but the phrase in the NIV is totally my language. That is what we must do, or we will come to the end of our lives, frazzled and crying, "What happened?" Making the most of every opportunity. Can you do that today? I have a lot to learn, but when I do this - my life feels fuller and more...more worthy of living. I hate laying my head down at night feeling like I accomplished nothing and didn't even try. How much more rewarding is it to lay down tired, review your day and find that you accomplished goals, made memories and brought a smile to your Savior's face?

So, what spurred this little talk about life and time? Well, I have officially applied for college. That will get any normal teenager thinking. It makes me realize that time goes by fast and faster. It feels so surreal - it's insanity. So, since we are talking about college - which was really the point of this post before I started a rant on time management - I want to tell you WHERE I applied!

*scream* 

Okay, first of all, I applied to Tennessee Tech University. Believe it or not, they have a great music program. I'm so excited about that. It is the only college that I think has actually processed my application. They still haven't told me my application status, but they did give me a student I.D number that I can use to start filling out scholarship applications and stuff! YAY!    

Union University is next. I actually would LOVE going to this college. Seems like a really good place. Liberal Christian, but still...they have good music programs. :) They actually waived my application fee, which was nice. Still haven't heard from them...


 Lastly, North Greenville University. This good ol' campus is actually in Greenville, SC. I would be a long way from home, but I think my sis is going there, so I would at least have a little family around. The plus about going there is that I have LOTS of friends in South Carolina already. My sister's boyfriend lives there, so we visit relatively often. I love Greenville. Still haven't heard from these guys either. BUT, it takes a while, I guess.

So, I'm anxiously waiting to know if I'm accepted or not. AH! It's an exciting/sad/amazing/long process. It has me dreaming of moments past, dreaming of moments ahead and treasuring the moments now. 



2 comments:

Kaylin said...

Not that I have any personal bias or anything (hides student ID), but I think NGU is where you should be. :) besides they have a great music program as well

Logan Vaughan said...

I'm going to Trevecca. I'm dual enrolling there. You should really look into it! It's a great school and the Christianity there is authentic.